- Follow AUTO DEALER BUZZ on WordPress.com
- Minnesota First-Party Coverages: Recovering Consequential Damages in Addition to the Policy Benefits when the Insurer Declines or Unreasonably Delays Payment.
- Auto Coverage: Minnesota No-Fault Act Does not Apply to Out-of-State Insurers?
- Guest Article Jim Ragodna: Compliance vs. Ethics: The Lines are Getting Blurry in the Car Business
- The Liability Insurer’s “Hidden” Duty to Defend– the Obligation to Pay for its Insured’s Affirmative Claims.
- Minnesota Supreme Court Rules in Nissan Dealer Relocation Case under MVSDA
DisclaimerThis blog is for informational purposes only. This may be considered attorney advertising in some states. The opinions on this blog do not reflect those of the author’s law firm or the author’s past and present clients. By reading it, no attorney-client relationship is formed. The law is constantly changing and is different in each jurisdiction. If you want legal advice, please consult an attorney. The opinions expressed here belong only to the individual contributor(s). Gregory J. Johnson © All rights reserved 2015.
Top Posts & Pages
- Auto Dealer-Arranged Financing and the Truth in Lending Act: Understanding the Basics
- Leasing, Rentals and Vicarious Liability: An Overview of the Graves Amendment
- The Graves Amendment: Is an Auto Dealer Vicariously Liable for a Customer’s Negligent Operation of a Loaner Vehicle?
- Protecting the Dealership's "Front-End" and "Back-End": What Does that Mean?
- Dealership Arranged Financing: The Indirect Auto Lending Process
- Yikes!! Self-Insured Enterprise Rent-A-Car Required to pay $600,000 on behalf of Renter even though Insurer’s Maximum Liability would have been $50,000.
- Guest Article Jim Ragodna: Compliance vs. Ethics: The Lines are Getting Blurry in the Car Business
- The Future (My Guesstimate) Hybrid “Uber-Lyft” Auto Insurance Policy
- May 2016 (1)
- March 2016 (4)
- February 2016 (5)
- January 2016 (1)
- December 2015 (2)
- November 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- August 2015 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (2)
- March 2015 (5)
- January 2015 (1)
- November 2014 (5)
- October 2014 (3)
- September 2014 (11)
- August 2014 (9)
- November 2010 (6)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (5)
- August 2010 (7)
- July 2010 (2)
- June 2010 (8)
- Dent Wizard Names Finance Director for South RegionDent Wizard promoted Regional Business Development Manager Eric Walker to finance director of the company's South region, which includes Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas.
- GWC Warranty Names New Strategic Brand ManagerThe F&I product provider has named Therese Pramick to the post. She will be responsible for developing strategies that increase GWC’s brand awareness and value among new and existing GWC partners.
- EasyCare Looks to Increase Agency Connections With New HireEasyCare has appointed Steven Spivey as director of new business development. The former CNA executive will look to expand the F&I product provider's partnership opportunities with independent agencies.
- Roadster Adds In-Store App to Digital Storefront ExperienceLaunched as a California broker site two and half years ago, Roadster took another step in its evolution to dealer solution provider this week. It announced the launch of a mobile app that brings its ecommerce platform into dealer showrooms.
- Edmunds: Tacoma Truck Owners Are Most LoyalAccording to Edmunds estimates, nearly 75% of Tacoma trade-ins this year have gone toward the purchase of another Tacoma. The popularity of Tacoma pickups, the study added, pushed Toyota’s overall truck loyalty rate to about 70%.
- Ohio Town Recognizes National Automotive ExpertsNational Automotive Experts received Strongsville, Ohio’s 2016 Innovation Award, which is presented annually to companies that demonstrate continued growth, investment and innovation within the community.
- DealerVault Rolled Into AuthenticomDealerVault and its holding company, Data Specialty Group LLC, have merged into Authenticom LLC, creating one company serving more than 15,000 dealerships across the company, the companies announced today.
- Manheim Rolls Out AiM Software to 79 LocationsAiM and Manheim have completed the North American rollout of AiM software to 79 Manheim locations in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico, according to a company announcement.
- Black Book Records Largest Weekly YTD Decline in Car ValuesWhether a seasonal trend or a sign of things to come, Black Book recorded the largest year-to-date weekly decline in car values last week. Trucks also recorded a sizable drop in values.
- Survey: Consumers Dissatisfied With How Dealers Resolve ComplaintsResults of an online consumer survey conducted by Total Dealer Compliance show high levels of consumer dissatisfaction with how dealers resolve their complaints.
- Dent Wizard Names Finance Director for South Region
- Go Vintage with Bandago’s Custom 'Shaggin Wagons'Bandago, a van rental company, has added two new customized van lines to its fleet: the Vintage Van resembles a “Shag Wagon” with a ‘70s retro feel while the Star Cruiser Sprinter offers a luxury and upscale experience.
- Routes Car Rental Joins NÜ Car Rentals Affiliate NetworkAs an affiliate of NÜ Car Rentals, Canadian-based Routes Car Rental opened its first U.S. rental location near Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
- Updated Avis App Hits More Than 250,000 UsersAvis Car Rental’s updated mobile app — with its Avis Now features — has gained more than 250,000 users and logged more than 100,000 rental transactions since it launched in July.
- Election, Global Uncertainty Contribute to Sluggish Business Travel SpendingAccording to the Global Business Travel Association, total business travel volume for the U.S. is expected to advance only 1% in 2016 while spending is projected to fall by 0.6%.
- ReachNow's Carsharing Service Adds Long-Term RatesBMW’s ReachNow carsharing service is now offering long-term rates for up to five days of rental in the Seattle area.
- Avis Car Rental Offers Golf PromotionNow through Dec. 10, customers who rent for two consecutive days or longer can save up to 25% on their rental and receive two single-day tickets to a qualifying PGA TOUR tournament.
- Enterprise Recognized for Workplace Training, DevelopmentEnterprise Holdings Inc. has been honored as a 2016 BEST Award winner by the Association for Talent Development (ATD).
- Used Pickup Sales WeakeningA rising supply of used pickups coupled with aggressive pricing for new models is expected to cause a weakening in values in the wholesale market, according to new data from Black Book.
- Best Way Auto & Truck Rental Offers Affiliate ProgramBest Way Auto & Truck Rental, a subsidiary of American Commerce Solutions, started an affiliate program in September. In addition to its 18 corporate locations, so far it has four affiliates and is planning to open an additional seven affiliate locations in the next few months.
- Avis Budget Group to Announce Third Quarter ResultsAvis Budget Group Inc. plans to report its third quarter 2016 results after the market close on Wednesday Nov. 2.
- Go Vintage with Bandago’s Custom 'Shaggin Wagons'
- Head of California Company Says CDI Wrongly Halting Sales of Comp ProductThe head of a business providing worker’s compensation and other benefits that was issued a cease and desist notice from the California Department of Insurance this week says the notice was wrongly issued. The CDI issued the notice to stop …
- National E&S in California Names Skiles Account ManagerNational E&S Insurance Brokers in Palmdale, Calif. has named Brittany Skiles an Account Manager. Skiles works with all lines of insurance including general liability, contractor pollution, professional liability, commercial autos and workers’ compensation. She worked the last 10 years at …
- Midwest Study: More Lighting Would Cut Farm Vehicle Crashes by 60%Traffic accidents involving farm vehicles in the Midwest would drop by more than 60 percent if state policies required more lighting and reflection on those vehicles, according to a study from the University of Iowa College of Public Health. The …
- Want to Know More About Agency E&O? Participate Now.Insurance Journal is asking for participation in its 2016 Agency Errors & Omissions Survey. This survey report will share key insights on today’s Agency E&O market. Participate now to learn more about the market. The survey is designed specifically for independent …
- New Mexico Driver’s License Revamp Draws Fresh CriticismNew Mexico officials ran into fresh criticism Tuesday about revisions to the state’s immigrant driver’s license law at a public hearing on the proposed regulations. The Department of Taxation and Revenue has said its plan to implement a law approved …
- Insurance Industry Collaboration Key to Facing Disruption, III CEO SaysIn an increasingly connected and globalized world, the insurance industry needs to work together to understand and accommodate the many disruptions it faces today and in the future, according to Sean Kevelighan, CEO of the Insurance Information Institute (III), during his …
- Fired Arizona Child Safety Workers Seek Revival of Wrongful Firing SuitThe Arizona Court of Appeals is set to consider reviving a wrongful termination lawsuit filed by five Arizona child welfare workers fired in 2014 amid an agency scandal. The ex-Child Protective Services employees argue they were fired in April 2014 …
- Acrisure in Michigan Announces Management-Led BuyoutGrand Rapids, Mich.-based Acrisure LLC has signed a definitive agreement for a management-led buyout of the company, led by Greg Williams, Acrisure’s CEO and co-founder, and a consortium of minority investors. Acrisure management and its operating partners are acquiring control …
- Copyright Claim Filed Over The Beatles’ 1965 Concert FilmOn the verge of last month’s release of Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years, a Ron Howard-directed film showing live performances of The Beatles, a surprising lawsuit was filed by the company assigned Sid Bernstein’s intellectual property. Bernstein …
- AIG’s Ex-CFO Herzog Joins MetLife BoardMetLife. Inc. announced that David L. Herzog has been elected to its board of directors, effective immediately. Herzog most recently served as executive vice president and chief financial officer of American International Group (AIG). Herzog had been CFO since late …
- Head of California Company Says CDI Wrongly Halting Sales of Comp Product
Tag Archives: Rental Car
By Greg Johnson. I recently wrote an article for the Minnesota Automobile Dealer Association’s MN Dealer Outlook Magazine (Winter 2015). If your Minnesota dealership provides dealer-owned loaner vehicles to customers while the customer’s vehicle is being repaired, you’ll want to … Continue reading
I was recently interviewed in connection with a most interesting article by Chris Brown of the Auto Rental News: “Enter the world of brokering, where fleet funding, commercial insurance and even car ownership are not necessities. As the name suggests, … Continue reading
By Greg Johnson. This article provides a brief overview of Minnesota rental car coverage law, from priority of payment for bodily injury and property damage liability claims to uninsured and underinsured motorist claims to no-fault claims to rental vehicle damage … Continue reading
By Greg Johnson. This is the first in a series of articles addressing claims for damage to, and loss of, rented vehicles. It provides an overview of the types of damages a rental car company may sustain (and, thus, may … Continue reading
Oops!! Self-Insured Owner of Rental Vehicle that had no Obligation to Afford Omnibus Coverage to Permissive Users not entitled to recover $260,000 Settlement Payment.
By Greg Johnson. In an unusual twist, a rental car company insisted it was obligated to pay damages to a third party who was injured by the permissive operator of its rental vehicle and the renter maintained it was not. … Continue reading
By Greg Johnson. The determination of whether a self-insured retention (SIR) constitutes “insurance” within the meaning of an “other insurance” clause of another policy generally depends on the particular circumstances presented. See, e.g., Champlain Cas. Co. v. Agency Rent-A-Car, Inc., … Continue reading