- Follow AUTO DEALER BUZZ on WordPress.com
- Loss of Use: Is the At-Fault Driver’s Insurer Required to Provide a “Comparable” Rental Vehicle?
- Auto Dealer Risk Management: Negotiating Dealer-Lender Agreement Terms
- CFPB to Allow Consumers to Voice Complaints Publicly
- Auto Dealers & Regulatory Compliance: If the FTC Comes Knocking
- Auto Dealer Arranged Financing: 51 Laws Dealers Must Know
DisclaimerThis blog is for informational purposes only. This may be considered attorney advertising in some states. The opinions on this blog do not reflect those of the author’s law firm or the author’s past and present clients. By reading it, no attorney-client relationship is formed. The law is constantly changing and is different in each jurisdiction. If you want legal advice, please consult an attorney. The opinions expressed here belong only to the individual contributor(s). Gregory J. Johnson © All rights reserved 2010.
Top Posts & Pages
- Leasing, Rentals and Vicarious Liability: An Overview of the Graves Amendment
- Yikes!! Self-Insured Enterprise Rent-A-Car Required to pay $600,000 on behalf of Renter even though Insurer’s Maximum Liability would have been $50,000.
- The Comprehensive Guide to the 2013 Auto Dealer’s Coverage Form: “Acts, Errors or Omissions” Coverage for Violations of Federal and State Consumer Protection Statutes Affecting the Auto Dealer’s F&I Department Operations.
- Insurance: Known Injuries or Damages
- Odd Federal Graves Amendment Case: to Avoid Vicarious Liability Owner of Vehicle Must Prove its Affiliate was also Free of Negligence.
- The Graves Amendment: Is an Auto Dealer Vicariously Liable for a Customer’s Negligent Operation of a Loaner Vehicle?
- CGL Coverage: Latent Defects and Continuous, Progressive or Recurring Damages (Allocation of Liability)
- Commercial & Personal Auto: Permissive Use, Omnibus Coverage & Split Liability Limits
- Insurance: Economic & Intangible Losses (Lost Profits, Idle Time, Increased Overhead, Liquidated Damages, Diminution in Value & Suppressed Rentals, Etc.
- Hey Dealer, Can I Get a Loaner?
- ProMax Unlimited Wins Three Dealers’ Choice AwardsProMax took home the Diamond award for both Desking and Direct Mail, and the Platinum award for Customer Relationship Management in the 2015 Dealers’ Choice Awards.
- UDS Takes Home Diamond and Gold in Dealers’ Choice AwardsUnited Development Systems Inc. was named the Diamond Award Winner for F&I Training and Gold Award Winner for Compliance Training in the 2015 Dealers’ Choice Awards.
- New-Car Sales to Reach 17.3 Million SAAR in May, KBB ReportsNew-vehicle sales are expected to decline 1% year over year to a total of 1.59 million units in May 2015, resulting in an estimated 17.3 million seasonally adjusted annual rate, according to Kelley Blue Book.
- DealerRater Appoints New VP of Business DevelopmentDealerRater has announced the expansion of the company’s executive team to include Brian Epro, the new vice president of business development.
- Confident Financial Solutions Appoints VP of National SalesConfident Financial Solutions, a developer of financial solutions for automotive service centers and their customers, has announced that it has appointed Dan Beres as vice president of national sales.
- Exeter Finance Appoints New CFOExeter Finance Corp. has appointed financial industry veteran Paige H. Wisdom to CFO for the organization, effective June 8.
- Android Auto Arrives for 2015 Hyundai SonataHyundai has begun offering Android Auto on its 2015 Hyundai Sonata, making it the first automaker to implement the software platform that closely matches one running on smartphones.
- Disparate Impact Ruling Expected This WeekA case debating a legal theory used by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to go after auto finance sources for perceived discrimination in dealer markup is expected to be ruled on this week by the U.S Supreme Court.
- Larry H. Miller Dealerships Introduces Online Buying ExperienceThe dealer group will now allow customers to select and reserve vehicles online, accelerating the car-buying experience. The new service is initially launching in select stores, but will be available at every location by late summer.
- Portfolio Repeats Top Diamond Ranking in Dealers’ Choice AwardsPortfolio has again been ranked as the top Diamond provider in the Vehicle Service Contracts – Reinsurance category in the annual Dealers’ Choice Awards.
- ProMax Unlimited Wins Three Dealers’ Choice Awards
- Where is Car Rental Growing? A recent report predicts that global car rental revenues will double by 2020 — but from where?
- New Carsharing Service Targets Uber DriversHyreCar carsharing network lets Uber and Lyft drivers rent personal cars for work.
- RelayRides Renter Cons Car Owner in ArizonaA RelayRides user discovered his car was impounded with a 30-day hold while it was being rented, leaving the man carless for more than a month.
- Enterprise Owes $22.7M to Settle Lawsuit in NevadaSettlement ends class action lawsuit regarding failure to include airport recovery concession fees in advertised rental cost.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Releases Replacement Rental Data for First QuarterEnterprise’s Automated Rental Management System (ARMS) found that for the first time in two years, the national average length of replacement rental (LOR) decreased in the first quarter 2015.
- Dubai Roads and Transport Authority Considers Car Rental InitiativeThe Smart Rental Initiative would reduce carbon emissions and make public transportation easier in Dubai.
- National Car Rental Launches Summer PromotionNational customers will receive 10% off weekly and weekend rentals this summer as part of the company’s new promotion.
- Europcar Implements Plan to Address DVLA’s Elimination of Paper LicenseEuropcar has introduced new initiatives to help its customers comply with the new license requirements set by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in the UK.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car Reveals ‘How Far Would You Drive?’ SurveyThe study explores Americans’ willingness to travel to destinations based on reasons like sports and family.
- Getaround Launches in Washington, D.C.Getaround’s launch in Washington, D.C. marks the first East Coast market for the carsharing service.
- Where is Car Rental Growing?
- Single Engineer for Trains a Tough Sell Following Amtrak CrashThe Amtrak crash that killed eight people this month raised questions of the safety of one-engineer trains, thwarting the idea of reducing freight crews for now, Union Pacific Corp. Chief Executive Officer Lance Fritz said. While cargo operators would save … The article Single Engineer for Trains a Tough Sell Following Amtrak Crash appeared first on Insuranc […]
- Bad Attitude: Cynical Employees Earn Less Than OthersHolding cynical beliefs about others may have a negative effect on one’s income, according to research published by the American Psychological Association. “While previous research has associated cynicism with detrimental outcomes across a wide range of spheres of life, including … The article Bad Attitude: Cynical Employees Earn Less Than Others appeared fi […]
- Uber and Lyft Fight Proposed NYC Rules – and Each OtherUber and Lyft are among the tech companies pushing back at proposed rules by New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission to regulate car service apps. Uber says the rules break federal law because taxi commissions don’t have the authority … The article Uber and Lyft Fight Proposed NYC Rules – and Each Other appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- Sirius XM to Face Class Action in Turtles Copyright SuitA U.S. judge in California allowed a class action lawsuit to proceed on Wednesday against satellite-radio company Sirius XM Holdings Inc over the payment of royalties for songs produced before 1972, in a case that is being closely watched for … The article Sirius XM to Face Class Action in Turtles Copyright Suit appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- Scott, Baskam Join Ridge InsuranceInsurance industry veterans Adrian Scott and John Baskam have joined Ridge Insurance Solutions, the managing agency started by Tom Ridge, former Pennsylvania governor and ex-secretary of Homeland Security. Scott joins as executive vice president and chief underwriting officer and Baskam … The article Scott, Baskam Join Ridge Insurance appeared first on Insur […]
- Lloyd’s Appoints Pullicino as New Representative in MaltaLloyd’s has appointed Louis Cassar Pullicino as the new representative for Lloyd’s in Malta, assuming the role of director of Lloyd’s Malta Limited. Pullicino replaces Mark Gollcher, who helped Lloyd’s build up its local portfolio for over 15 years and … The article Lloyd’s Appoints Pullicino as New Representative in Malta appeared first on Insurance Journal […]
- Ironshore International Enhances K&R Coverage for Latin AmericaBermuda-based Ironshore International announced that it has introduced enhanced insurance coverage for Kidnap & Ransom (K&R) risks to protect Latin American based clients against unexpected events. The bulletin said Ironshore’s “comprehensive K&R insurance program provides protection against kidnap for ransom, … The article Ironshore Internationa […]
- ‘All at Sea:’ Australia’s Search for MH370 Wreckage Under ScrutinyNearly a year after embarking on a multi-million dollar quest to solve one of aviation’s greatest unsolved mysteries, authorities and search teams are being criticized over their approach to finding Flight MH370 in the remote southern Indian Ocean. The Australian-led … The article ‘All at Sea:’ Australia’s Search for MH370 Wreckage Under Scrutiny appeared fi […]
- Low Interest Rates ‘Harmful’ to Insurers & Pension Funds: BlackRock CEOLowering interest rates around the world to boost the global economy has reached a point where it is now “quite harmful” to clients, including pension funds and insurers, BlackRock Inc. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Laurence Fink said. The “low … The article Low Interest Rates ‘Harmful’ to Insurers & Pension Funds: BlackRock CEO appeared first on […]
- Rental Company Sues Kentucky County for Unpaid Bills from 2012 Tornado RecoveryAn eastern Kentucky county ravaged by a 2012 tornado is being sued for nearly $1 million by a Lexington company that provided rented trailers, generators, all-terrain vehicles and other equipment after the deadly twister hit. Morgan County officials agree they … The article Rental Company Sues Kentucky County for Unpaid Bills from 2012 Tornado Recovery appea […]
- Single Engineer for Trains a Tough Sell Following Amtrak Crash
Tag Archives: Rental vehicles
Oops!! Self-Insured Owner of Rental Vehicle that had no Obligation to Afford Omnibus Coverage to Permissive Users not entitled to recover $260,000 Settlement Payment.
In an unusual twist, a rental car company insisted it was obligated to pay damages to a third party who was injured by the permissive operator of its rental vehicle and the renter maintained it was not. In Enterprise Rent-A-Car … Continue reading