- Follow AUTO DEALER BUZZ on WordPress.com
- Dealership Arranged Leases: Is the Lessor Liable for the Lessee’s Negligent Operation of the Vehicle?
- Dealership Arranged Financing: The Indirect Auto Lending Process
- Loss of Use: Is the At-Fault Driver’s Insurer Required to Provide a “Comparable” Rental Vehicle?
- Auto Dealer Risk Management: Negotiating Dealer-Lender Agreement Terms
- CFPB to Allow Consumers to Voice Complaints Publicly
DisclaimerThis blog is for informational purposes only. This may be considered attorney advertising in some states. The opinions on this blog do not reflect those of the author’s law firm or the author’s past and present clients. By reading it, no attorney-client relationship is formed. The law is constantly changing and is different in each jurisdiction. If you want legal advice, please consult an attorney. The opinions expressed here belong only to the individual contributor(s). Gregory J. Johnson © All rights reserved 2010.
Top Posts & Pages
- Dealership Arranged Leases: Is the Lessor Liable for the Lessee’s Negligent Operation of the Vehicle?
- Leasing, Rentals and Vicarious Liability: An Overview of the Graves Amendment
- The Graves Amendment: Is an Auto Dealer Vicariously Liable for a Customer’s Negligent Operation of a Loaner Vehicle?
- Minnesota Car Rental: Handling BI/PD, UM/UIM & Rental Vehicle Damage Claims
- CGL Coverage:"Your Work" Exclusion Comes Full Circle -- Deletion of Subcontractor Exception
- Commercial & Personal Auto: Permissive Use, Omnibus Coverage & Split Liability Limits
- Loss of Use: Is the At-Fault Driver's Insurer Required to Provide a "Comparable" Rental Vehicle?
- Pro-Rata Time on the Risk: An Insured's Contribution Obligation
- Auto Dealer Arranged Financing: 51 Laws Dealers Must Know
- VisionMenu Adds Four Product Providers to vRate PlatformVisionMenu has integrated Perma Plate, Vehicle Admin Services, ArmorAll, and Total Warranty Services with vRate, a feature of its electronic menu.
- CFS Appoints VP of Partner DevelopmentConfident Financial Solutions has appointed of Tony Orlando as vice president of partner development.
- NADA Still Pushing For CFPB TransparencyOne day after the CFPB rejected its Freedom of Information Act request to release an internal memo that proves the bureau is targeting dealers, the NADA urged members of the U.S. House Financial Services Committee to pass a bill that would repeal the bureau’s auto lending guidance.
- J.D. Power: Dealers Willing to Pay for Better Lender ServicesThe firm found that dealers are willing to pay a premium for high-quality service from finance providers, including dedicated underwriters and dealer-focused sales reps.
- Vero Forms New Division With Acquisition of Fidelis PPMWith the acquisition, Vero and Fidelis PPM have formed DRIV Technologies LLC, which will provide dealers with a new prepaid maintenance technology platform designed to drive up customer retention.
- N.J. Consumer Affairs Division Reaches $25K Settlement with DealerThe New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs and AutoSource Group, a used-car dealership, have settled a lawsuit filed by the regulator earlier this year. The dealership was accused of failing to disclose the condition of its cars, among other things.
- Portfolio Announces New CFO, TreasurerThe reinsurance program manager announced that Pam Hamilton will take over all treasury functions. The company also appointed Robert Dickey as CFO.
- GM Financial's Penetration of GM Retail Sales Grows Globally in Q2GM Financial's transformation from subprime finance source to GM's captive finance company continued in the second quarter, with GM new-vehicle loans and leases accounting for 83.5% of total originations during the period.
- Hackers Demonstrate Security Risks In Connected CarsOn the same day WIRED magazine posted a video showing two hackers take over a Jeep Cherokee traveling down a St. Louis highway, two U.S. Senators introduced legislation that would direct the NHTSA and FTC to establish standards to secure cars and protect drivers' privacy.
- Westlake Customers See Largest Jump in FICO Score, Equifax FindsWestlake Financial Services was recognized by Equifax as the national auto lender whose subprime customers have seen the highest credit score increase over the term of their loan.
- VisionMenu Adds Four Product Providers to vRate Platform
- An Unusual Fleet Safety StoryA rural power co-op needed a way for a lineman to call for help should an emergency situation arise. Five months later, the solution was put to good use.
- Enterprise’s Stubblefield: Consumers Want Access Over SharingDuring a panel discussion at the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) convention, Greg Stubblefield, Enterprise’s chief strategy officer and executive vice president, discussed how consumers in the sharing economy are looking for “access” over “sharing.”
- Hertz Adds Porsche Macan to Dream Cars CollectionHertz Global Holdings Inc. has added the Porsche Macan Turbo to its Dream Cars collection, a line of high-end performance vehicles.
- Approximately 40% of Zipcar Members Sell or Don’t Buy a CarZipcar and the University of California, Berkeley's Transportation Sustainability Research Center (TSRC), announced that two in five corporate Zipcar members sell or avoid buying a vehicle after joining Zipcar.
- National Announces Sponsorships with 4 MLB TeamsUnder the sponsorship agreements, National Car Rental will be the car rental partner for the Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Angels, New York Mets and St. Louis Cardinals through the 2015-2019 Major League Baseball (MLB) seasons.
- Electric Carsharing Pilot Program to Launch in LAUnder the new pilot program set to launch in November,100 electric and hybrid cars will be available to Los Angeles residents in low-income neighborhoods. The program has been funded through a state grant.
- This is the Auto Rental Summit ManifestoTo understand what Auto Rental Summit is, what it’s not and what it can be, read this.
- Fleet Jam Session Returns to Auto Rental SummitThree-hour workshop to feature fleet planning strategies, auction best practices, new lending opportunities and an insider’s look at repurchase programs.
- China Leads Global Business Travel SpendingIn the next five years, China business travel will increase by 61% (from $261 billion in 2014 to $420 billion in 2019). Asia Pacific owns the largest share of the business travel spend market with 39%, followed by North America with 27%.
- Camera Technology Reduces Europcar’s Damage Claims by 70%After using safety camera technology in a pilot program, Brisbane Airport’s Europcar saw a 70% reduction in complaints and disagreements about vehicle damage.
- An Unusual Fleet Safety Story
- D.C. Dept. of Insurance, Securities & Banking Names New Acting CommissionerThe District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities & Banking (DISB) confirmed that former DISB senior official Stephen Taylor recently rejoined DISB as its new acting commissioner. Taylor succeeds Chester A. McPherson, who has served as DISB’s acting commissioner since … The article D.C. Dept. of Insurance, Securities & Banking Names New Ac […]
- Appeals Court: Indiana Police Department Can Be Held LiableA federal appeals court has ruled the Evansville Police Department in Indiana committed too many mistakes” to be shielded from liability in a lawsuit filed over a SWAT raid on her home in 2012. The Evansville Courier & Press reports … The article Appeals Court: Indiana Police Department Can Be Held Liable appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- Nebraska Jury Awards $920K to Man Hurt When Chair BrokeA man who was injured at a Union Pacific facility when a chair he was sitting on broke has been awarded more than $920,000 by a jury in western Nebraska. Dan Anderson filed the lawsuit in March 2010, alleging that … The article Nebraska Jury Awards $920K to Man Hurt When Chair Broke appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- NFP Acquires BWD Group in New YorkNFP, a New York City-based provider of employee benefits, property/casualty insurance, retirement and wealth management services, announced today its acquisition of BWD Group LLC in Plainview, New York. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. NFP said the BWD acquisition … The article NFP Acquires BWD Group in New York appeared first on Insurance Journa […]
- Another Earthquake Shakes Northern OklahomaAnother earthquake has shaken parts of northern Oklahoma near the Kansas border. The U.S. Geological Survey says the 3.6 magnitude earthquake was recorded at 3:28 p.m. on Aug. 1 about 11 miles south-southwest of Medford in Grant County. Medford is … The article Another Earthquake Shakes Northern Oklahoma appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- SJU to Honor Lloyd’s CEO Beale With Insurance Executive of the Year AwardSaint Joseph’s University’s Academy of Risk Management and Insurance in Philadelphia announced today it will present its Insurance Executive of the Year Award to Lloyd’s Chief Executive Officer Inga Beale. She is the first female to lead Lloyd’s, the world’s … The article SJU to Honor Lloyd’s CEO Beale With Insurance Executive of the Year Award appeared firs […]
- Former Texas Surgeon Charged with Assault in Malpractice CasesA former Dallas neurosurgeon has been described by state regulators as so derelict during operations that his actions led to the deaths of two patients and left others with disabling injuries in what’s seen as one of the worst recent … The article Former Texas Surgeon Charged with Assault in Malpractice Cases appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- Confie Adds Dallas-Based Insurance King Auto AgencyConfie, a national provider of personal lines insurance, has acquired the business of Insurance King Auto Agency LLC, which has two locations in Dallas The family-owned agency was established in March 2010 and specializes in personal lines. Established in 2008, … The article Confie Adds Dallas-Based Insurance King Auto Agency appeared first on Insurance Jour […]
- Marsh & McLennan Agency Acquires Cline Wood in Kansas CityMarsh & McLennan Agency LLC (MMA) has acquired Cline Wood Agency, a suburban Kansas City-based independent specialty insurance agency. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. Founded in 1984, Cline Wood specializes in providing property/casualty insurance and risk management and … The article Marsh & McLennan Agency Acquires Cline Wood in Kansas […]
- Confie Acquires Schunke Insurance Agency, Reynolds & Reynolds in New YorkConfie Seguros, a Huntington Beach, California-based national provider of personal lines insurance, announced its acquisition of Schunke Insurance Agency Inc. in West Seneca, New York, and Reynolds & Reynolds Agency Inc. in Bellport, New York. Terms of the transactions were … The article Confie Acquires Schunke Insurance Agency, Reynolds & Reynolds i […]
- D.C. Dept. of Insurance, Securities & Banking Names New Acting Commissioner
Tag Archives: Rental Car
I recently wrote an article for the Minnesota Automobile Dealer Association’s MN Dealer Outlook Magazine (Winter 2015). If your Minnesota dealership provides dealer-owned loaner vehicles to customers while the customer’s vehicle is being repaired, you’ll want to read on. Minnesota … Continue reading
I was recently interviewed in connection with a most interesting article by Chris Brown of the Auto Rental News: “Enter the world of brokering, where fleet funding, commercial insurance and even car ownership are not necessities. As the name suggests, … Continue reading
This article provides a brief overview of Minnesota rental car coverage law, from priority of payment for bodily injury and property damage liability claims to uninsured and underinsured motorist claims to no-fault claims to rental vehicle damage claims. A considerable … Continue reading
This is the first in a series of articles addressing claims for damage to, and loss of, rented vehicles. It provides an overview of the types of damages a rental car company may sustain (and, thus, may be imposed on … Continue reading
Oops!! Self-Insured Owner of Rental Vehicle that had no Obligation to Afford Omnibus Coverage to Permissive Users not entitled to recover $260,000 Settlement Payment.
In an unusual twist, a rental car company insisted it was obligated to pay damages to a third party who was injured by the permissive operator of its rental vehicle and the renter maintained it was not. In Enterprise Rent-A-Car … Continue reading
The determination of whether a self-insured retention (SIR) constitutes “insurance” within the meaning of an “other insurance” clause of another policy generally depends on the particular circumstances presented. See, e.g., Champlain Cas. Co. v. Agency Rent-A-Car, Inc., 716 A.2d at … Continue reading