- Follow AUTO DEALER BUZZ on WordPress.com
- Loss of Use: Is the At-Fault Driver’s Insurer Required to Provide a “Comparable” Rental Vehicle?
- Auto Dealer Risk Management: Negotiating Dealer-Lender Agreement Terms
- CFPB to Allow Consumers to Voice Complaints Publicly
- Auto Dealers & Regulatory Compliance: If the FTC Comes Knocking
- Auto Dealer Arranged Financing: 51 Laws Dealers Must Know
DisclaimerThis blog is for informational purposes only. This may be considered attorney advertising in some states. The opinions on this blog do not reflect those of the author’s law firm or the author’s past and present clients. By reading it, no attorney-client relationship is formed. The law is constantly changing and is different in each jurisdiction. If you want legal advice, please consult an attorney. The opinions expressed here belong only to the individual contributor(s). Gregory J. Johnson © All rights reserved 2010.
Top Posts & Pages
- Leasing, Rentals and Vicarious Liability: An Overview of the Graves Amendment
- Insurance: Economic & Intangible Losses (Lost Profits, Idle Time, Increased Overhead, Liquidated Damages, Diminution in Value & Suppressed Rentals, Etc.
- The Comprehensive Guide to the 2013 Auto Dealer’s Coverage Form: “Acts, Errors or Omissions” Coverage for Violations of Federal and State Consumer Protection Statutes Affecting the Auto Dealer’s F&I Department Operations.
- The Graves Amendment: Does it Shield a Taxi-Cab Company from Vicarious Liability?
- Rental Car Coverage: Diminution in Value, Loss of Use & Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) -- the Basics
- CGL Coverage: Latent Defects and Continuous, Progressive or Recurring Damages (Allocation of Liability)
- Auto Dealer-Arranged Financing and the Truth in Lending Act: Understanding the Basics
- Auto Dealers & Regulatory Compliance: If the FTC Comes Knocking
- Insurance: Known Injuries or Damages
- Commercial & Personal Auto: Permissive Use, Omnibus Coverage & Split Liability Limits
- TrueCar Denies Claims in CNCDA LawsuitThe California New Car Dealers Association filed a lawsuit against TrueCar Wednesday, alleging the that the shopping site is not in compliance with certain sections of the California Vehicle Code — a claim TrueCar has denied.
- Show Your Pride!Struggling sales pros should remember to take pride in their work and seek referrals wherever they may lie.
- Your Constant Value PropositionProviding exceptional customer service at every touchpoint is the best way to reassure customers they will be treated fairly when they visit your dealership.
- DealerSocket Releases Memorial Day RecommendationsBased on data from 2014's Memorial Day weekend, DealerSocket recommends that dealers focus on phone leads and used vehicles during the upcoming holiday.
- CornerStone United Launches eContracting on F&I ExpressCornerStone United joins more than 90 aftermarket F&I product providers in the F&I Express network.
- Black Book Identifies Drivers of Stretching Loan TermsThere’s a reason captives like Ally and Chrysler Capital have expanded their appetite for longer term loans. And according to a new white paper from Black Book, it’s not just about keeping loan payments below that $400 consumer sweet spot.
- CNCDA Files Suit Against TrueCarThe California New Car Dealers Association filed a lawsuit Wednesday against TrueCar, alleging that the shopping site is not in compliance with certain sections of the California Vehicle Code.
- Subprime Loan Percentage Falls to Lowest Level in Three YearsIn the first quarter of 2015, the percentage of automotive loans that fell within the subprime and deep subprime risk categories made up 19.7% of the market, the lowest share since 2012, according to Experian Automotive.
- CNA National Voted Top Provider for 11th Year in a RowCNA National has received the Diamond Award for Best Service Contract Provider as well as the Platinum Award for Best Reinsurance Provider in Auto Dealer Monthly’s 2015 Dealers’ Choice Awards.
- Auto/Mate Receives Platinum Dealers' Choice AwardAuto/Mate Dealership Systems has received a Platinum award in the 2015 Auto Dealer Monthly Dealers' Choice Awards, marking the second time the company has received a top ranking in the publication's annual award program.
- TrueCar Denies Claims in CNCDA Lawsuit
- Fox Announces New Technologies and Expected Rate IncreasesFox Rent-A-Car has invested in a new website platform, a mobile platform and improved customer service tools. The company expects to raise rates by 15% in corporate stores starting July 1.
- The Promise of Telematics for Small FleetsDid you know women really are safer drivers than men? Using this and other types of big data to analyze risk is the new frontier for small fleets.
- Program Cars Drive Higher Used Car PricesAccording to ADESA, wholesale used vehicle prices in April were up 2.2% year over year, due to a higher proportion of sales of manufacturers’ program vehicles.
- UK Rental Companies Plan for Abolition of Paper LicenseCar rental operators are taking a range of approaches to help renters in the UK and abroad deal with the abolition of the driver's license paper counterpart.
- Travelauto Partners with Europcar TurkeyCustomers will now be able to reserve rental cars from Europcar on Travelauto’s website.
- UK to Abolish Paper Driver's License June 8In order to pick up a rental car in the UK, travelers must choose from alternatives, which include obtaining a code from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency website.
- Avis Named Exclusive Car Rental Partner of Pebble Beach ResortsAvis has entered a multi-year agreement with Pebble Beach Resorts, making it the official car rental partner of the resorts.
- New York Man Faces Charges for Two-Month Late RentalA man is being charged with third-degree unauthorized use of a vehicle after he failing to return his rental car back to Hertz for more than two months.
- Abrams Launches Carsharing NewsletterAbrams Carsharing Advisors created an online newsletter and blog, called The CarShare Network, focusing on the latest news in the industry.
- Booking Group Reaches New Record in SalesOn a daily basis, the online car rental broker sells 6,500 rental days during a 24-hour period, according to its recent corporate statistics.
- Fox Announces New Technologies and Expected Rate Increases
- Willis Construction Adds Russo in New York, Johnson in ChicagoWillis North America announced two appointments to its Construction Practice. Joseph Russo has been appointed East Region Broking Leader for the National Construction team based in New York. In this newly created role, Russo will serve as a senior construction … The article Willis Construction Adds Russo in New York, Johnson in Chicago appeared first on Insu […]
- DEA ‘Operation Pilluted’ Nets 280 Drug Trafficking Arrests in 4 StatesThe U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and federal prosecutors have made 280 arrests in what they call an “unprecedented enforcement action” against doctors, pharmacies and pill mills for alleged trafficking and abuse of prescription drugs. The 15-month operation, dubbed Operation … The article DEA ‘Operation Pilluted’ Nets 280 Drug Trafficking Arres […]
- AXA Plans to Sell Coal Assets, Citing Concerns About Climate ChangeFrance’s largest insurer will scrap holdings in coal companies because of concerns about climate change, broadening support for the fossil-fuel divestment movement to a major mainstream investor. AXA SA Chief Executive Officer Henri de Castries said he’s working to sell … The article AXA Plans to Sell Coal Assets, Citing Concerns About Climate Change appeare […]
- Senate Committee Passes Dodd-Frank Relief Bill Without DemocratsA bill to ease regulations across the U.S. financial sector passed a Senate committee on Thursday with no support from Democrats, in a setback to the largest overhaul of 2010 banking reforms since the rules were put in place. The … The article Senate Committee Passes Dodd-Frank Relief Bill Without Democrats appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- UK’s Regulator Criticizes Insurers for Failures in Handling Claims for SMEsThe UK’s Financial Conduct Authority criticized the insurance industry for “poor practices” and “significant” failures in handling claims for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The regulator said a review of the experiences of business customers showed more dissatisfaction with insurers than a … The article UK’s Regulator Criticizes Insurers for Fail […]
- PartnerRe Shareholders to Decide on AXIS Bid; Board Rejects EXOR OfferPartnerRe Ltd. said in a statement on Friday that its suitor EXOR has rejected any negotiations to raise its $6.8 billion hostile offer. As a result, the Bermuda-based PartnerRe said it will ask shareholders to vote on the planned merger with … The article PartnerRe Shareholders to Decide on AXIS Bid; Board Rejects EXOR Offer appeared first on Insurance Jour […]
- The Scoop on Recall Insurance and Listeria-Linked Ice CreamWhile peanut butter and cantaloupe made big news in recent years, ice cream is now the latest item to be pulled off grocery store shelves due to foodborne-illness. Brenham, Texas-based Blue Bell Creameries’ listeria-tainted ice cream has been linked to … The article The Scoop on Recall Insurance and Listeria-Linked Ice Cream appeared first on Insurance Journ […]
- More North Carolina Wells Near Duke Coal Ash Pits Show Water ContaminationNorth Carolina officials are warning even more residents living near Duke Energy’s coal ash pits that it’s not safe to drink or cook with their well water. The state Department of Environment and Natural Resources said Wednesday that 191 drinking … The article More North Carolina Wells Near Duke Coal Ash Pits Show Water Contamination appeared first on Insura […]
- ConAgra to Settle Georgia Peanut Butter Salmonella Charges for $11.2MConAgra Foods agreed to pay $11.2 million, a sum that includes the highest criminal fine ever in a U.S. food safety case, to settle a federal charge that the company shipped Peter Pan peanut butter tainted with salmonella from a … The article ConAgra to Settle Georgia Peanut Butter Salmonella Charges for $11.2M appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- Montpelier Re to Hold Special Shareholders’ Meeting on Endurance AcquisitionBermuda-based Montpelier Re Holdings Ltd announced that it has scheduled a special general meeting of its shareholders to “consider and vote upon a proposal to approve the previously announced Agreement and Plan of Merger,” dated March 31, 2015. Shareholders will … The article Montpelier Re to Hold Special Shareholders’ Meeting on Endurance Acquisition appea […]
- Willis Construction Adds Russo in New York, Johnson in Chicago
Tag Archives: Rental Car
I recently wrote an article for the Minnesota Automobile Dealer Association’s MN Dealer Outlook Magazine (Winter 2015). If your Minnesota dealership provides dealer-owned loaner vehicles to customers while the customer’s vehicle is being repaired, you’ll want to read on. Minnesota … Continue reading
I was recently interviewed in connection with a most interesting article by Chris Brown of the Auto Rental News: “Enter the world of brokering, where fleet funding, commercial insurance and even car ownership are not necessities. As the name suggests, … Continue reading
This article provides a brief overview of Minnesota rental car coverage law, from priority of payment for bodily injury and property damage liability claims to uninsured and underinsured motorist claims to no-fault claims to rental vehicle damage claims. A considerable … Continue reading
This is the first in a series of articles addressing claims for damage to, and loss of, rented vehicles. It provides an overview of the types of damages a rental car company may sustain (and, thus, may be imposed on … Continue reading
Oops!! Self-Insured Owner of Rental Vehicle that had no Obligation to Afford Omnibus Coverage to Permissive Users not entitled to recover $260,000 Settlement Payment.
In an unusual twist, a rental car company insisted it was obligated to pay damages to a third party who was injured by the permissive operator of its rental vehicle and the renter maintained it was not. In Enterprise Rent-A-Car … Continue reading
The determination of whether a self-insured retention (SIR) constitutes “insurance” within the meaning of an “other insurance” clause of another policy generally depends on the particular circumstances presented. See, e.g., Champlain Cas. Co. v. Agency Rent-A-Car, Inc., 716 A.2d at … Continue reading