- Follow AUTO DEALER BUZZ on WordPress.com
- Guest Contributor Jim Radogna: Dealer Fees Under Attack
- Times Change and so do Car Prices: Bring back the Gremlin!!
- Auto Rental News Special Report: The Problem with Renting Fast Cars
- Why do Auto Dealers Purchase Limited Truth in Lending Coverage?
- Protecting the Dealership’s “Front-End” and “Back-End”: What Does that Mean?
DisclaimerThis blog is for informational purposes only. This may be considered attorney advertising in some states. The opinions on this blog do not reflect those of the author’s law firm or the author’s past and present clients. By reading it, no attorney-client relationship is formed. The law is constantly changing and is different in each jurisdiction. If you want legal advice, please consult an attorney. The opinions expressed here belong only to the individual contributor(s). Gregory J. Johnson © All rights reserved 2015.
Top Posts & Pages
- Leasing, Rentals and Vicarious Liability: An Overview of the Graves Amendment
- Auto Dealer-Arranged Financing and the Truth in Lending Act: Understanding the Basics
- Guest Contributor Jim Radogna: Dealer Fees Under Attack
- Yikes!! Self-Insured Enterprise Rent-A-Car Required to pay $600,000 on behalf of Renter even though Insurer’s Maximum Liability would have been $50,000.
- The Comprehensive Guide to the 2013 Auto Dealer’s Coverage Form: “Acts, Errors or Omissions” Coverage for Violations of Federal and State Consumer Protection Statutes Affecting the Auto Dealer’s F&I Department Operations.
- The Graves Amendment: Does it Shield a Taxi-Cab Company from Vicarious Liability?
- Insurance: Economic & Intangible Losses (Lost Profits, Idle Time, Increased Overhead, Liquidated Damages, Diminution in Value & Suppressed Rentals, Etc.
- Loss of Use: Is the At-Fault Driver's Insurer Required to Provide a "Comparable" Rental Vehicle?
- Dealership Arranged Financing: The Indirect Auto Lending Process
- Hey Dealer, Can I Get a Loaner?
- February 2016 (1)
- January 2016 (1)
- December 2015 (2)
- November 2015 (1)
- October 2015 (2)
- August 2015 (1)
- July 2015 (1)
- April 2015 (2)
- March 2015 (5)
- January 2015 (1)
- November 2014 (5)
- October 2014 (3)
- September 2014 (12)
- August 2014 (9)
- November 2010 (6)
- October 2010 (3)
- September 2010 (5)
- August 2010 (7)
- July 2010 (2)
- June 2010 (8)
- JM Family Enterprises Announces Four Senior-Level PromotionsRajeev Ravindran was named CIO, while Hank Grooms was appointed vice president of marketing and field operations for Southeast Toyota Distributors. Additionally, Ed Brown will now serve as group vice president of operations, while Jonna Sherry was promoted to vice president of sales and marketing for World Omni.
- New EasyCare App Allows Dealers to ‘Own’ the ODBII PortEasyCare is getting set to launch a new mobile app that will allow dealers to own the ODBII port in their customers’ vehicles. The connection will allow dealers to tailor service offers and alerts, as well as allow customers to perform a full health scan of their vehicle on their mobile device.
- VisionMenu Celebrates Econtracting MilestoneEcontracting through VisionMenu has grown from a few thousand contracts per month to more than 20,000 in January, and the company expects similar growth throughout the year.
- GWC Warranty Releases New Website DesignGWC Warranty's newly redesigned website is now live. It features simple-to-navigate content designed for dealers and customers alike. It also provides owners of GWC products with a dealer locator, and allows them to easily look up coverage, among other features.
- Q4 2015 Outstanding Loan Balances Reach Highest Level on Record, Experian ReportsOutstanding auto loan balances totaled $987 billion in the fourth quarter 2015, up 11.5% from the year-ago period and the highest level since Experian Automotive began publicly tracking the data in 2006.
- Ally Financial Increasing Carvana's Floorplan Credit LineAlly Financial said this week it is increasing the online vehicle retailer's floorplan credit line from $60 million to $125 million. This will allow Carvana to finance approximately 7,100 vehicles, up from 3,400.
- Fighter Pilot Bruce Bright to Keynote Dealer SummitOrganizers of Dealer Summit have announced that Lt. Col. Bruce Bright, USMC (Ret.) will deliver a motivational keynote address at the event, which will be held May 3–5, 2016, at the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk Hotel.
- 10 Ways to Improve Gross ProfitDa Man says if your grosses suck, it's your own darn fault. He lays out 10 ways to make sure they don't.
- Perfecting the F&I TurnoverExpert says salespeople play a critical role in what happens in the F&I office. She lists four ways they can successfully pave the road to back-end sales.
- AutoNation’s F&I Operations Posts $1,538 Per-Copy Average for 2015AutoNation’s F&I operations, or what the group refers to as Customer Financial Services, lived above $1,500 in F&I gross profit per vehicle retailed (PVR) in 2015, with the business unit’s full-year revenues rising by $100.5 million from 2014.
- JM Family Enterprises Announces Four Senior-Level Promotions
- Pickups Remain Strongest Vehicle Segment at AuctionPickups, both midsize and full-size, remain the strongest segment at auction, while compact cars continue to underperform with a year-over-year decline of almost 9%.
- Avis Budget Extends Partnership with American AirlinesUnder the extended agreement, Avis Car Rental, Budget Car Rental and Payless Car Rental have been named the preferred car rental partners of American Airlines’ AAdvantage program.
- Lyft Offers Chance to Win $1,000 in CreditsTo celebrate Valentine’s Day, Lyft is offering its customers the chance to win $1,000 in Lyft credits if they pay with Apple Pay.
- Enterprise Earns Awards for Training and DevelopmentIn 2015, Enterprise Holdings was recognized for its training and development by Chief Learning Officer magazine, Training magazine and Workforce magazine.
- ICRS Announces Agenda for Latin American MeetingTo be held at the 2016 International Car Rental Show, this year’s meeting will include topics such as how brokers and car rental companies can work together, creating consensus on standards, how price affects the customer experience and an investment perspective of the Latin American market.
- Snapshot: South America’s Commercial Fleet MarketReaders get a closer look at the commercial fleet market in 13 countries in South America, including information on fleet market size, fuel prices, the used-vehicle market and maintenance trends.
- Bargain Rental Cars Updates WebsiteNew Zealand-based Bargain Rental Cars has launched its new website, which is more user-friendly with its updated online booking feature.
- Goldcar Launches at Cancun AirportGoldcar, a European car rental provider, has opened a location at Mexico’s Cancun International Airport. This is Goldcar's first facility in Mexico.
- Budget Opens at UAE AirportBudget Rent a Car has launched a new facility at Ras Al Khaimah International Airport. Now Budget is located at four international airports in the United Arab Emirates.
- Enterprise Holdings’ Brands Launch in LuxembourgEnterprise Holdings has announced the launch of Enterprise Rent-A-Car, National Car Rental and Alamo Rent A Car franchise locations in Luxembourg.
- Pickups Remain Strongest Vehicle Segment at Auction
- Software Qualifies as a Driver, Says U.S. Safety Agency on Google Self-Driving Car ComplianceGoogle Inc.’s artificial-intelligence system will be interpreted as a driver by federal regulators, a step toward compliance that would help the tech giant’s self-driving cars hit U.S. roads. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration agrees with Google that its cars …
- January Weather Cost Global Economy $4 Billion-Plus: Impact ForecastingJanuary winter weather cost more than $4.0 billion of economic impact in the United States and Asia, according to Impact Forecasting, Aon Benfield’s catastrophe model development team, which evaluates the impact of natural disasters on a monthly basis. During the …
- Top Generali Investors Making Their Influence Felt in Hunt for New CEOFrench corporate raider Vincent Bollore is making his influence felt in corporate Italy by defying the country’s old guard in choosing a replacement for Mario Greco as Generali chief executive. Greco may have masterminded a three-year turnaround and a doubling of its …
- London-Based Brit Opens Singapore Office, Operating via Lloyd’s platformBrit Ltd., the London-based specialty insurer, has opened an office in Singapore, which will begin operations on March 1 via the Lloyd’s Singapore platform. Brit has received approval to begin underwriting from both Lloyd’s and the Monetary Authority of Singapore …
- Self-Driving Vehicles Meet Their Match When Snow Creates Sensor BlindnessIn Jokkmokk, a tiny hamlet just north of the Arctic Circle in Sweden, where temperatures can dip to 50 below, Volvo Cars’ self-driving XC90 sport-utility vehicle met its match: frozen flakes that caked on radar sensors essential to reading the …
- North Korean Shipping Company Evades UN Sanctions, Obtains Marine InsuranceA U.N.-blacklisted North Korean shipping company continues to evade sanctions through its use of foreign-flagged ships, name changes and other means of obfuscation, according to a new report by United Nations monitors. The U.N. Security Council’s Panel of Experts on …
- Hess Named Interim Director of Arizona Department of InsuranceGov. Doug Ducey has appointed Leslie Hess as the interim director of the Arizona Department of Insurance. Hess has worked in the insurance and financial services industries, in both the private and public sectors, for over 25 years. Hess was …
- Texas Seeks Applicants for Medical Liability Insurance Underwriting Assoc.The Texas Department of Insurance is accepting applications through March 11 for two public member positions on the Texas Medical Liability Insurance Underwriting Association board of directors. The appointment terms are for one year. The association is a self-supporting entity …
- Arkansas Insurance Department Helped Consumers Recover $3.8M in 2015The Arkansas Insurance Department reported that its Consumer Services Division (CSD) recovered $3,843,969 for Arkansas insurance consumers in 2015. Recoveries are dollar amounts in excess of the amounts initially offered by insurance companies. In 2014, $3,803,830 was recovered. During 2015, the CSD received …
- Donald Gaddis Co. Adds Cale as Senior P/C BrokerChicago-based independent regional wholesale insurance brokerage and general agent, Donald Gaddis Co. Inc., has hired Angela Cale as a senior property/casualty broker. Cale has 23 years of experience in the excess and surplus lines segment of the industry, handling both contract …
- Software Qualifies as a Driver, Says U.S. Safety Agency on Google Self-Driving Car Compliance
Tag Archives: Rental Car
I recently wrote an article for the Minnesota Automobile Dealer Association’s MN Dealer Outlook Magazine (Winter 2015). If your Minnesota dealership provides dealer-owned loaner vehicles to customers while the customer’s vehicle is being repaired, you’ll want to read on. Minnesota … Continue reading
I was recently interviewed in connection with a most interesting article by Chris Brown of the Auto Rental News: “Enter the world of brokering, where fleet funding, commercial insurance and even car ownership are not necessities. As the name suggests, … Continue reading
This article provides a brief overview of Minnesota rental car coverage law, from priority of payment for bodily injury and property damage liability claims to uninsured and underinsured motorist claims to no-fault claims to rental vehicle damage claims. A considerable … Continue reading
This is the first in a series of articles addressing claims for damage to, and loss of, rented vehicles. It provides an overview of the types of damages a rental car company may sustain (and, thus, may be imposed on … Continue reading
Oops!! Self-Insured Owner of Rental Vehicle that had no Obligation to Afford Omnibus Coverage to Permissive Users not entitled to recover $260,000 Settlement Payment.
In an unusual twist, a rental car company insisted it was obligated to pay damages to a third party who was injured by the permissive operator of its rental vehicle and the renter maintained it was not. In Enterprise Rent-A-Car … Continue reading
The determination of whether a self-insured retention (SIR) constitutes “insurance” within the meaning of an “other insurance” clause of another policy generally depends on the particular circumstances presented. See, e.g., Champlain Cas. Co. v. Agency Rent-A-Car, Inc., 716 A.2d at … Continue reading