- Follow AUTO DEALER BUZZ on WordPress.com
- Dealership Arranged Leases: Is the Lessor Liable for the Lessee’s Negligent Operation of the Vehicle?
- Dealership Arranged Financing: The Indirect Auto Lending Process
- Loss of Use: Is the At-Fault Driver’s Insurer Required to Provide a “Comparable” Rental Vehicle?
- Auto Dealer Risk Management: Negotiating Dealer-Lender Agreement Terms
- CFPB to Allow Consumers to Voice Complaints Publicly
DisclaimerThis blog is for informational purposes only. This may be considered attorney advertising in some states. The opinions on this blog do not reflect those of the author’s law firm or the author’s past and present clients. By reading it, no attorney-client relationship is formed. The law is constantly changing and is different in each jurisdiction. If you want legal advice, please consult an attorney. The opinions expressed here belong only to the individual contributor(s). Gregory J. Johnson © All rights reserved 2010.
Top Posts & Pages
- Leasing, Rentals and Vicarious Liability: An Overview of the Graves Amendment
- Yikes!! Self-Insured Enterprise Rent-A-Car Required to pay $600,000 on behalf of Renter even though Insurer’s Maximum Liability would have been $50,000.
- Auto Dealer-Arranged Financing and the Truth in Lending Act: Understanding the Basics
- Commercial Auto: Owner of Semi-Trailer not Vicariously Liable for Negligent Operation of Semi-Truck.
- The Graves Amendment: Is an Auto Dealer Vicariously Liable for a Customer’s Negligent Operation of a Loaner Vehicle?
- Insurance: Economic & Intangible Losses (Lost Profits, Idle Time, Increased Overhead, Liquidated Damages, Diminution in Value & Suppressed Rentals, Etc.
- CGL Coverage:"Your Work" Exclusion Comes Full Circle -- Deletion of Subcontractor Exception
- Payment Gap Between New and Used Hits All-Time High in Q2, Experian ReportsThe rise in new-vehicle prices continued in the second quarter, with more consumers turning toward the used market and leasing. Loan terms also continued to stretch.
- Enterprise, Chase to Launch Enterprise Auto FinanceThe two companies announced this week a new multi-year, private-label agreement to establish Enterprise Auto Finance, which will be rolled out later this year.
- American Auto Guardian Unveils Consumer-Facing Mobile AppAmerican Auto Guardian has released a new mobile app designed for its agents, dealers and the car-buying public. It interacts with all of the company’s products and allows for mobile contract registration, among other features.
- AUL Corp. Named to 'Best Places to Work in the North Bay’ ListAUL Corp. was named one of the North Bay Business Journal’s ‘Best Places to Work in the North Bay,’ the second time the provider of used-vehicle service contracts has earned the distinction.
- Timing of Labor Day to Drive Down August Sales by 4%, KBB PredictsBecause of the timing of Labor Day, August new-vehicle sales will not get the boost they got last year from the holiday sales weekend. But KBB analysts still expect August sales to 'remain robust.'
- Depreciation Expected to Accelerate, Black Book/Fitch ReportThe two firms reported this week that overall vehicle depreciation is expected to reach between 14% and 14.5% by the end of the year.
- Car Owners Rejecting Entertainment, Connectivity Features, Report FindsJ.D. Power found that even Gen Y vehicle owners aren't finding the latest in-car entertainment and connectivity features useful. What consumers want are features that enhance the driving experience and safety.
- ACSI: Customer Satisfaction Weakens as Recalls ContinueThe American Customer Satisfaction Index showed declines for most automakers, with imports topping domestic brands. The nameplate with the highest score was Toyota’s Lexus.
- DealerSocket Report Offers Tips On How to Thrive in Slow-Growth TimesDealerSocket released its annual Dealership Action Report, which emphasized the importance of formal, technology-driven processes to thrive and increase profitability during slow periods.
- DealerSuccess Launches Online Deal ToolDealerSuccess announced the launch of Virtual Deal, an online deal creator that uses DMS-integrated technology to give consumers the option to work an entire deal online.
- Payment Gap Between New and Used Hits All-Time High in Q2, Experian Reports
- Sixt Opens at California’s Santa Rosa AirportSixt has a new franchise location at Charles M. Schulz-Sonoma County Airport in Santa Rosa, Calif.
- Avis Alaska Wins Loss-of-Use CaseState Farm Insurance refused to pay the full amount for loss-of-use damages on a rental car from the Avis Alaska franchise. An Alaska court ruled in favor of the franchise.
- Can Alt Fuels Survive the Era of Low-Priced Gas?Before jumping in, fleets considering alternative fuels or power must define their use cases and tailor them to the solution more than ever before.
- BlueIndy to Hold Grand-Opening CeremonyThe electric carsharing company BlueIndy is set to launch on Sept. 2, with vehicles available at 25 charging stations throughout the city of Indianapolis.
- Hertz Names EVP of North American Rental OperationsAlexandria Marren has been appointed Hertz’s new executive vice president of North American rental car operations.
- Boston to Add 80 Vehicles to Carsharing ProgramBoston's mayor has announced that the city will partner with Zipcar and Enterprise CarShare to bring 80 new carshare vehicles to Boston's carsharing program.
- TSD Launches Subaru Service Loaner ProgramTSD, a provider of fleet management software for dealerships, rental companies and automotive manufacturers, is now the official loaner car software provider for Subaru of America.
- Hertz Adds Hyundai Sonata Hybrid to FleetThe Hertz Corp. has expanded its Green Traveler Collection fleet to include the 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in select U.S. cities.
- National Launches Annual ‘One Two Free’ PromotionNational Car Rental has launched its annual “One Two Free” promotion for registered Emerald Club members to receive one free rental day for every two qualifying rentals of a midsize or larger vehicle.
- New Hampshire Airport to Build New Rental Car CenterNew Hampshire's Manchester-Boston Regional Airport will start construction on a new $6 million rental car center that is scheduled to open in May 2016.
- Sixt Opens at California’s Santa Rosa Airport
- Trinity Says Virginia Orders More Tests for Highway GuardrailsTrinity Industries Inc.’s guardrail system will undergo additional crash testing by Virginia, raising new questions about a device on roadways across the country. Some of Virginia’s six proposed tests on the ET-Plus, scheduled to begin in mid-September, will be different … The article Trinity Says Virginia Orders More Tests for Highway Guardrails appeared fi […]
- Hedge Fund Financing of Lawsuits Draws Interest from SenatorsHedge funds have been speculating on lawsuits, a new form of financial engineering that some business interests say encourages wasteful courtroom warfare. Now two top Republican senators—Chuck Grassley of Iowa and John Cornyn of Texas—have a few questions of their … The article Hedge Fund Financing of Lawsuits Draws Interest from Senators appeared first on I […]
- US Chamber of Commerce Urges China to Open Insurance, Securities MarketsMembers of the American Chamber of Commerce group urged China on Friday to allow more access to its insurance and other service industries, saying foreign skills could help develop its volatile stock markets and cope with disasters like the recent … The article US Chamber of Commerce Urges China to Open Insurance, Securities Markets appeared first on Insuran […]
- Carvey Appointed Head of Treaty at Hamilton at Lloyd’sHamilton Underwriting Limited, the Lloyd’s managing agency of Bermuda-based holding company Hamilton Insurance Group, has hired Trevor Carvey as head of treaty. Carvey will report to Dermot O’Donohoe, chief executive officer of Hamilton Underwriting Limited. He will be responsible for … The article Carvey Appointed Head of Treaty at Hamilton at Lloyd’s appea […]
- Tissot Named SCOR Group COOFrench reinsurer SCOR Group has appointed Nicolas Tissot as the Group’s Chief Operating Officer (COO), effective as of today, August 31. He reports to Chairman and CEO Denis Kessler, and joins the SCOR Group Executive Committee. The announcement explained that the … The article Tissot Named SCOR Group COO appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- QBE Appoints Lingafelter as Managing Director of Asia Pacific RegionQBE Insurance has appointed Mark Lingafelter as managing director of its Asia Pacific region with effect from September 1, 2015. Based in Singapore, Lingafelter will be accountable for the ongoing execution of the QBE Asia Pacific Profitable Growth Strategy and … The article QBE Appoints Lingafelter as Managing Director of Asia Pacific Region appeared first […]
- Delaware Cities Tell Uber Drivers to Obtain Business LicensesOfficials in numerous Delaware cities have asked drivers who use the ride-hailing app Uber to obtain business licenses. The News Journal of Wilmington reports that under a deal struck by Delaware and the company this year, it is unclear if … The article Delaware Cities Tell Uber Drivers to Obtain Business Licenses appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- North Carolina Lawmakers Send Ridesharing Regulations to GovernorThe North Carolina legislature gave its final OK to state regulations August 27 for ridesharing companies such as Uber, Lyft and Sidecar, a move supporters say will protect consumers and drivers of the mobile phone-based services and encourage competition. The … The article North Carolina Lawmakers Send Ridesharing Regulations to Governor appeared first on I […]
- West Virginia Takes 212 Commercial Vehicles off Road After Failed InspectionsThe West Virginia Public Service Commission says 212 commercial vehicles were taken out of service as a result of recent inspections. Violations found by PSC transportation enforcement officers included faulty brakes, lights, tires and steering mechanisms, poorly secured loads and … The article West Virginia Takes 212 Commercial Vehicles off Road After Faile […]
- Ross Joins Florida’s SUNZ Insurance as In-House CounselSUNZ Insurance Co. has hired Donna Ross to join the Sarasota, Fla.-based company’s in-house legal counsel. According to Steve Herrig, CEO of SUNZ, said, Ross is joining the company as it expands its legal department to meet the needs the … The article Ross Joins Florida’s SUNZ Insurance as In-House Counsel appeared first on Insurance Journal.
- Trinity Says Virginia Orders More Tests for Highway Guardrails
Tag Archives: Rental Car
I recently wrote an article for the Minnesota Automobile Dealer Association’s MN Dealer Outlook Magazine (Winter 2015). If your Minnesota dealership provides dealer-owned loaner vehicles to customers while the customer’s vehicle is being repaired, you’ll want to read on. Minnesota … Continue reading
I was recently interviewed in connection with a most interesting article by Chris Brown of the Auto Rental News: “Enter the world of brokering, where fleet funding, commercial insurance and even car ownership are not necessities. As the name suggests, … Continue reading
This article provides a brief overview of Minnesota rental car coverage law, from priority of payment for bodily injury and property damage liability claims to uninsured and underinsured motorist claims to no-fault claims to rental vehicle damage claims. A considerable … Continue reading
This is the first in a series of articles addressing claims for damage to, and loss of, rented vehicles. It provides an overview of the types of damages a rental car company may sustain (and, thus, may be imposed on … Continue reading
Oops!! Self-Insured Owner of Rental Vehicle that had no Obligation to Afford Omnibus Coverage to Permissive Users not entitled to recover $260,000 Settlement Payment.
In an unusual twist, a rental car company insisted it was obligated to pay damages to a third party who was injured by the permissive operator of its rental vehicle and the renter maintained it was not. In Enterprise Rent-A-Car … Continue reading
The determination of whether a self-insured retention (SIR) constitutes “insurance” within the meaning of an “other insurance” clause of another policy generally depends on the particular circumstances presented. See, e.g., Champlain Cas. Co. v. Agency Rent-A-Car, Inc., 716 A.2d at … Continue reading